Pinguim Café is a pub with a traditional atmosphere, which opened in 1987 and has a history of regular culture-related activities.
It has a long tradition of poetry evenings on Monday, started by Joaquim Castro Caldas for over 30 years, followed by poets such as Manuel Jorge Marmelo, João Habitualmente, Daniel Maia-Pinto Rodrigues, Valter Hugo Mãe, Filipa Leal, Paulo Campos dos Reis, Renato Filipe Cardoso.
Penguin Café stands out for the quality of its tonic gins and has a phrase that characterizes them “Not only of Gin lives the Penguin”. You should try the excellent hot chocolate, wines, cocktails, craft beers and snacks.
Founded by David Ferreira in 1910, Ourivesaria Luiz Ferreira is a historic establishment in the city’s commerce.
This store is renowned for its revolutionary work in the field of jewelry design, namely the articulated animals made from various raw materials by David Ferreira, the founder’s son. Luiz Ferreira was posthumously awarded the Cultural Merit Medal for his outstanding services to Portuguese culture.
In this centenary jewelry, the client will be able to find a careful selection of jewels, decoration pieces, tea services, bracelets, rings and necklaces, created with the tasteful design and always with the widely proven quality that this space offers.
Moldursant started its activity in 1917, developing its business always in the city of Porto. Since its founding, it has been closely linked to the artistic framing trade and industry. It also offers fine art material to its customers.
It grew up linked to art, gradually asserting itself in the Portuguese artistic environment for the recognized quality of its services. Recently, and following the evolution of technologies, Moldursant has made available an online selling platform for those who prefer to make their purchases at a distance.
Costa Braga & Filhos has a history of over 150 years. In 1866, at Rua Firmeza, in Porto, the factory was named “Real e Imperial Chapelaria a Vapor de Costa Braga & Filhos”. Later, in the current facilities of Rua 31 de Janeiro, shop and production were combined. Since then it has guided its position in the market by criteria of quality, rigor and honesty. In this shop you can follow the manufacture and application of various uniform accessories. You can still know a huge collection of original equipment, some still in use. It works with the domestic and foreign markets, always offering quality and excellence products.
Inaugurated in 1931, Escondidinho was the first restaurant to obtain two Michelin stars in 1936, which made the restaurant a place of excellence.
Its dining room, which reproduces the comfort of the 18th century residences, with the ornamental strength of the old faience and the showy ceramic wainscoting, imitating the Delft school, with its extraordinary beauty tiles, stands out for its beauty.
In the Escondidinho Restaurant you can enjoy the unique flavors of Porto gastronomy, such as “tripas” (gut), cod, beef or “cataplana”, always with a service of recognized excellence.
This establishment opened its doors in 1966 and was the city’s first Chinese restaurant, at a time when Chinese food was an unknown exoticism. It kept the traditional Chinese cuisine and resisted the competition, which decades later would be installed in the city. The business has been in the same family since its inception since Mr. Chow Horng Tzer founded it. It is also known as the “Bridge Chinese” because it is located next to the upper deck of D. Luís Bridge with views of the Douro river and “Serra do Pilar” monastery on the other side. We maintain the typical Chinese cuisine, highlighting the most sought after classics by regular customers: Peking Duck, Shrimp Dim Sum, Beef on the plate, among others.
Since 1897 Príncipe Porto Portugal has been engaged in the marketing and dissemination of genuinely Portuguese regional and traditional products in the field of clothing and footwear, scarves, shawls and regional costumes. It is recognized in Portugal and abroad for the originality, authenticity and quality of the products. Exports to Europe, North and South America, Asia, Africa and Australia. In this store of great tradition, the customer can immerse himself deeply in Portuguese culture through the clothes and objects that mark its long history. The interior features various cast iron elements, including a spiral staircase leading to the sewing workshop.
Café Ancora D´Ouro has long been affectionately called “Café Piolho”. In fact, no one knows the reason for such a designation, but the theories are many. One of them is that the cafe was frequented by the students of the university, but the teachers also went there and the coexistence was somewhat ceremonious. Then someone started to say that this was a “foolishness”. Opened since 1909, the café is a meeting point for students; it was a mandatory stop for poets, politicians, activists, among others. It is a cafe that is part of Porto’s history, where you can have a drink, snack and dine, even after hours. Try the francesinha or sarrabulho porridge, from a varied offer.
Founded in 1928, Pedro A. Baptista is distinguished by gold and silver jewelery, with its own design and execution by hand, guaranteeing the quality and prestige that characterizes it. This establishment was founded by António Dias Ribeiro Gasparinho Júnior, a merchant who stands out for his creativity, making him one of the most respected goldsmiths in the country. In 1928 the company is acquired by Pedro A. Batista who continues this prestigious goldsmith. This entrepreneur gave the space more refinement and kept the good taste in the pieces. To this fact contributed greatly the creative capacity of his brother-in-law, architect Fernando Bastos Monteiro.
Situated in the heart of downtown Porto since 1921, Papelaria Modelo is distinguished by its welcoming atmosphere where art, tradition and personalized service are present. Currently, combining tradition and modernity, Papelaria Modelo seeks the satisfaction of its customers, ensured by the professionalization of its employees. Importer of fine art materials and architectural technical material, and representative of the most reputable brands, seeks to respond quickly and permanently to the needs of its customers with a wide range of products. Here painters, plastic artists, architects and students of fine arts find specialized and unique material.
For many the oldest goldsmith in the city, what is certain is that the Coutinho Goldsmith was born in 1859, belongs to the same family since 1919, and has stories to tell that no other Porto remember. There were 37 goldsmiths in this area, being inserted in a bourgeois area, and today few remain. Inside we can find gold, silver and filigree, such as Viana’s hearts, cutlery, clocks, among others. Being in an area with high tourist incidence, it ends up having as clients many of these foreign passersby, but also keeping whole families who continue to shop here.